The Scarlet Ibis Essay
The Scarlet Ibis
Answer the following questions honestly and thoughtfully. Be sure to write in full sentences and completely answer each question. Save your answers in your Network folder as Scarlet Ibis Questions.
1. How did you feel at the end of the story? Elaborate and explain in detail.
2. Does Doodle and or his brother remind you of anyone real or in other stories you’ve read or films you might have seem? Explain why or why not.
3. Have you had any personal experiences which help you to relate to this story? Describe an example from your life or another person’s.
4. What is a caul? Why did Aunt Nicey think the caul was important? Explain and support your answer.
5. What is significant about Doodle’s interaction with the bird the scarlet ibis. Find specific quotes from the text to support your answer.
6. In what way does the narrator’s pride help and also hurt Doodle? Provide textual evidence of both from the text.
7. The author, James Hurst, grew up in the southern part of the United States. How can we tell that the story took place in the South? Use at least two quotes from the story to support your answer.
8. What literary devices does Hurst use to tell his story? How do these devices help make the story effective? Offer textual support.
9. Does the story end the way you expect it to? Why does the author choose this ending? What effect does this conclusion have on the reader?
10. How would you like to have seen the story conclude? Be specific.
University/College: University of Chicago
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 4 January 2017